Valentine Joe Book Review


I LOVE this book to itty-bitty bits! *long deep sigh*
From the very first chapter, I knew I was going to love this book and it would go on my list of lovable-huggable books. And can we just appreciate this beautiful cover? *heart eyes*
Also, I have never cried whilst reading a book, but when I was finishing the last pages of Valentine Joe, there was salty liquid going down my cheek!




Back Cover Synopsis {from Goodreads}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rose's grandad takes her on a trip to Ypres, Belgium, to visit the graves of those who died in the Great War. It's the day before Valentine's Day, but Rose can sense the shattered old city beneath the chocolate-box new. And it seems that it can sense her too. When she goes up to her room that night, she hears the sound of marching feet and glimpses from her window a young soldier on his way to the front line...


The way Rebecca Stevens writes is just what I like from a book. Beautifully simple but yet still explaining the details. The little things. I like that.
"It was an old photograph mounted on yellowing cardboard which looked like it had once been in a frame. As Grandad pushed it across the table towards her, Rose caught a musty smell like old library books. It smelled of the past."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"He looked up and he saw Rose. Their eyes met, and for a brief moment everything seemed to stop. The snowflakes froze in the air and the stars held their breath. Then the boy grinned, a cheeky, familiar grin as if he'd known her all his life, and the picture broke up and time moved on."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Rose and Joe were so lovely and perfect (not perfect as in they did nothing wrong but Rebecca created them perfectly). There is a little romance which I think was so sweet and heart-aching.
Cover. As I said before I absolutely love and adore this cover. It was what partly drew me into reading it.
Tommy. A furry friend is always a nice touch to a story! Tommy is a stray dog that wanders the streets of Ypres (Eepra) and befriends Rose.
Again Joe. Joe is one of those lovable, caring, slightly cheeky teens you read about sometimes. He is just so wonderful and friendly. He would make a really good friend.
Inspired by a true story. This makes it even better. Valentine Joe Strudwick was a real person. Born on Valentine's Day, hence the name Valentine. He is buried at Essex Farm Cemetery, near, Ieper, where you can go and put celandines on his grave. (Tell me if you know the reference)




Again, nothing. I loved every word!


As you can probably guess, I am going to force recommend you to read this piece of writing! It is middle-grade fiction but I recommend it mostly to ages 12+ simply because I think those ages would enjoy it the most, not because of any content.

Add Valentine Joe to your Goodreads
Buy Valentine Joe
Author's website

Unfortunately, Rebecca Stevens has only written 2 books, this one and the follow-up, Rose in the Blitz. I soooo want her to write heaps more! Please, pretty please?

Comments

  1. I have never read that book, but it sounds truly wonderful, I will definitely check it out and see if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this book sounds really great!! Also I love your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist