My Top Favourite Children's Picture Books Growing Up

The other day we were talking and the topic of our favourite picture books popped up. When I was younger, library trips were a weekly occurrence. Each Friday we would go to get a new batch of books.
In all those years while we lived in that location we definitely found some favourites at that library. Some of these are also ones that our grandparents read to us. I know this is a little different but I hope you like it nonetheless.


Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne
I remember this one was an audiobook. It's quite a fun book. Full of bright colours! It's been a while since I read most of these so I can't say a lot about them.



Annika's Secret Wish by Beverly Lewis

I love this one! It's a beautiful Christmassy, warming story with wonderful illustrations. We listened to this one on audiobook too. I remember this book with much fondness. ♥



How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

This story was one of my top favourites. I borrowed it from our library often. It's a like a recipe turned into a story. A girl travels all around the world to get the ingredients for an apple pie and sees the sights at the same time.


Maple Syrup Season by Ann Purmell

I remembered the plot of this book but I could not put my finger on the title. I searched for 'maple syrup children's books' on Google and there it was! I really would love to get copies of some of the books on this list to read again and pass on to any children I have! ♥


Best Friends for Frances by Russell Hoban

We have a few of these books in our home and I think of them with a smile on my face. They are funny, cute tales of a badger who can't spell and her family and friends. Read them! They will make you giggle!



Jody's Beans by Malachy Doyle

This is a book that I asked my grandparents to read to me just about every time we visited them. It's a really cute story with beautiful illustrations. It's all about Jody and how she plants runner beans and how they grow till they're ready to eat. I still love it so much!


Princess Poppy: The Wedding by Janey Louise Jones


All the Poppy books hold a special place in my heart. But these two are the ones I remember especially loving. They are sort of like a series but you can read them in any order. The Fair Day Ball is before The Wedding. The illustrations are so cute and special too.  


Princess Poppy: The Fair Day Ball by Janey Louise Jones

I remember loving the dresses Poppy and Honey had in this book. I played the audio CD that it came with many times when we got it from our library. 


Angelina's Birthday by Katherine Holabird
I loved and still love pretty much all of these books but I chose this one to represent it because I got it for a birthday once. As a young girl, I adored ballet. I took lessons and read these books. They are a signature part of my childhood I still rather like them.



Princess Grace by Mary Hoffman
I think I only read this a couple times but I recall that there was something that I liked about it. Since it has been so long since I read it I don't remember a whole lot. It was about ballet though and like I said before, ballet was an obsession for the little me.


Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
This is a really cute book and one that all parents should read to their young ones. It's one of those lovely, calming and lovable books that is perfect to read just before bed.



The Glass Heart: a tale of three princesses by Sally Gardner
A top favourite! My Nonna often read this to me when we visited and she still reads it sometimes to my younger sister, though she has given it to us now. It is set in Venice, one of my Nonna's favourite places. She has many books set in Italy. I have always adored this book and I am sure I always will.


Now, these were only my favourite picture books, but I am possibly going to do a post all about my favourite middle-grade/chapter books.

What was one of your most-loved children's picture books growing up?

Comments

  1. Wow very nice Hanni! I recognise 4 of the books, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Best Friends for Frances, (although I'm not sure if I've read that one, but I've read some of the other ones, I think!), Jody's Beans, Angelina's Birthday, (I've read some of the other books in the series), and Guess How Much I Love You. :)

      Delete
  3. AWWW the Frances books, and Guess How Much I Love You are some of my favorite childhood books too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist