Bible Reading Tips


I have come to really enjoy doing my Bible reading in the mornings. It brings me great joy and fulfilment. I'm not a pro, no one is. But I have come across some resources and tips that can help you get motivated and get deeper into the Word.
I have a similar post here.



#1 
USE A STUDY GUIDE
Now, I do believe that you shouldn't learn to rely on commentaries, study guides and devotionals. We should be able to study our Bibles without these things, but they can be helpful. I studied Genesis using this devotional from Newspring Church. It was good but when I started read Exodus I wanted to a deeper study.
I found a detailed study guide by David Guzik on Blue Letter Bible. I love it. He shows you some of the historical things you would never know otherwise. He has a guide for each book of the Bible. I highly recommend it and the other resources on BLB.




#2
INVEST IN GOOD PENS/HIGHLIGHTERS
It helps to have highlighters that don't bleed through your pages badly and wreck your Bible.
You could either just go to your local stationery store and buy some good quality highlighters like Faber-Castell and gel highlighters or get highlighter made especially for Bibles.
The Daily Grace Co. has some beautiful ones that I have only heard good thing about. I'm aiming to get some soon.







#3
SCRIPTURE TYPER APP
This is a good app to try if you love memorizing bible verses or you want to start to memorize it.
I have tried it and I do recommend it.

Personally, I would use a different method but it has worked for some people.
Basically, you pick a verse and then type only the 1st letter of each word etc.








#4
THE BIBLE PROJECT
Visual Storytelling Meets the Bible
I have mentioned them before but I have to again.
The Bible Project has helped me a lot when it comes to studying the Word.
They have a little video for each book of the Bible giving you an overview of what to expect as well as word study videos and videos on biblical themes.

I absolutely love what they do and I would like to support them in the future. They are a non-profit organization and money you donate goes toward whatever video they're working on at that time.




#5
ACCOUNTABILITY
Another thing that could help you stay on top of your Bible reading is having an accountability partner.
Find a friend and check in with each other to make sure both of you are reading your Bibles and praying daily.
I have never tried this but I think it would quite fun and helpful.








#6
DO IT OUTSIDE
I don't know about you, but personally, I feel closer to God or more focused and connected when I do my quiet time outside, which to be honest isn't often.
Especially this time of year, the mornings are too cold and dark to do it in the garden.
Sometimes I like to pick up my Bible, pen and notebook and read some later in the day though so then would be a good time to get outside.
Plus, you get some fresh air!






#7
BEGIN AND END IN PRAYER
Disclaimer: I do not do this but I want to work on it!

I believe and know that I should be opening and closing my devotional time in prayer but it often gets overlooked or forgotten.
"I don't have time", "Oops, I forgot", "Oh, I do it next time".
(Anyone else?)
I'd like my 'before' prayer to be just asking God to open my heart to his truths and to reveal Himself to me in the Scriptures and my ending prayer to be a prayer over my day.
#goal





#8
MAKE USE OF YOUR MARGINS (OR STICKY NOTES)

If your Bible has large spaces/margins, that's great!
Utilize that space by writing some of your thoughts and note right next to the passage you just read.
If you have a smaller bible, like me, it doesn't have much room for notes. Sticky note to the rescue!

I sometimes write a short sentence or a few words in the white space at the bottom of my page but sticky note are my friends when it comes to this 'sticky' situation!






I hope and pray that these tips might help and inspire you in your quiet time.

xoxo
Hannah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist

She is called Daughter