My 3 Favourite Poldark Characters


Since I recently started watching this series, I have formed mixed feelings about it and it's characters.
I have quickly chosen which characters I like best and so since I haven't had a rant about period dramas on here for a wee while I thought I would now!

One note I would like to make is that everyone has their flaws and that is certainly true in Poldark. So I admire these characters for their honorable traits.







Verity Poldark


From very early on, Verity impressed me. She is one of those sweet, honorable, innocent souls that just deserves a happily ever after. Ruby Bentall (who in my eyes will always be Minnie from Larkrise to Candleford) plays her and suits the character. It was a little strange to see her in more 'fancy' costumes because in her role as Minnie her wardrobe is limited to her maid outfit and a few simple country dresses.
Verity, at 26, is on her way to becoming the 'old maid' of the Poldark family. That is until a certain Captain comes along! I was glad to see her happily married by the end of Season 1. (Spoiler?)
I like how she is one of the first of the 'upper-class Poldarks' to befriend Demelza after Demelza weds Ross. She is very kind and accepting of Demelza and tries to help her become accustomed to a more upper-class way of living.
Oh, Verity, I look forward to seeing what Season 2 holds for you!






Dwight Enys


First, of, I'd like to note how I believe this actor slightly resembles Dan Stevens/Matthew Crawley. Does he not? (proof right there that I have seen too many period dramas!)
Dwight is similar to Ross in that he cares about helping those less fortunate. He's a good doctor who wants to help the poor.
I look forward to seeing him and Caroline Penvenen meet in the future seasons! In Season 1, Dwight makes a bad mistake but what I do like is how he handled the consequences.
Despite this incident, I believe he is a good character and has some good qualities. (And some dreamy blue eyes, which I always have a weakness for, except in George Warleggan's case. Ugh!)






Demelza Poldark


Demelza, Demelza, dear Demelza! There is sooo much that I love about Demelza and I think it is safe to say that I saved the best for last. From her gorgeous(dyed) red locks to her good stubbornness and love for Ross, Demelza is truly lovely.
She went from a dirty, unrefined, girl who had nearly no manners(and a pathetically cute curtsy) to a decently accomplished lady. A great transformation, thanks to Ross and Verity!
After marrying Ross, she struggled to know where her place was because she was no longer a servant but she didn't feel like she belonged up there with Elizabeth Poldark and the rest.
I love her costumes, simple but still pretty. I much prefer her ballgowns to some other ladies' gowns.
Her hair, even though it is dyed for the role, is beautiful. I love red hair!
What she did for Francis, Elizabeth, and their family when they were sick was very honorable and cost her her own child when she got sick too.
She is selfless and doesn't put on airs after she became higher up the social ladder when she married Ross.


Bonus mention:

Ross Poldark

Though Ross didn't quite make it into my top 3, I still wanted to mention him. He is by no means perfect but what I do admire about him is how he wants justice for the poor and goes out of his way to try and make their lives better.
Despite his social status, he is not puffed up. He loves Demelza even though he still has some feelings for Elizabeth (Grrr!).
The scene where he tells Demelza that their daughter died is very touching! I love the scenes where he seems to forget completely about Elizabeth and shows his affection for Demelza.
(And you have to admit that he is rather dashing! Especially galloping along through the sea wind on his wild, dark horse.)



Now your turn, who do you admire form Poldark?

xoxo
Hannah

Comments

  1. Dear Dwight. <3 He's adorable. He and Caroline are probably my favorite couple--which is saying something because there's something to be said about all of them--and possibly my favorite characters, too. Although, Ross and Demelza are lovable characters, too. And what about Prudie? She grew on me. Francis did, too, believe it or not.

    I adore Verity, as well. She has so many good qualities, and she's arguably the most moral character in the show. Just you wait until the next two seasons! You'll be completely furious with EVERYONE except Verity, I assure you. Plus, you think George is bad?? Get ready for Whitworth. (He's like Mr. Collins on steroids, basically.)

    Can't wait for season 4 in just a couple of weeks! *squealing*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prudie isn't bad, Jud is a bit useless though! I think that Francis is at times pathetic and I believe that is his father fault. But I've heard that he improves and becomes likable before he dies.

      Delete
  2. They are all so lovely! I don't Ross though, he's just not my kinda person I like. :) But he has his beautiful moments too, there is a lot of drama with him. He and Demelza are the cutest together. Verity is soo sweet and Dwight is a sweetheart. Another chacter I also love is Caroline Penvenen, she comes in season 2. At first I didn't liked her, but throughtout the seasons she became my favorite. I won't give any spoilers, considering you haven't watched season 2 yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Caroline arriving. Thanks for not spoiling anything!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist