"Life seems nothing more than a quick succession of busy nothings."

Dreamy!

How does one put into words all a review of a movie when they love it so much they have no words?
This is my dilemma right now. You see, after seeing the 2007 adaptations of Mansfield Park I decided that it wasn't my favourite JA story. But after watching this one, I LOVE IT!

I'm trying to figure out how to go about this review, I suppose I'll just begin to chat about what I loved about it(well, technically ALL of it was my favourite but that goes without saying!).

First of all, there are two quotes which I loved and stood out to me as I watched:
1. The title of this post, "Life seems nothing more than a quick succession of busy nothings" (- Fanny Price). It's soooo true though! Sometimes life does feel like that. When I heard it, I went back instantly so I could save it.
2. "There are as many forms of love as there are moments in time" - Edmund Bertram
Is this not one of the loveliest quotes you have ever heard?

♥♥♥

Next thing I want to point out is how many of the cast I recognized. I love it when that happens, and usually one of the actors/actresses are from Downton Abbey!
For instance, in Mansfield Prak, there was: Johnny Lee Miller (Mr Knightly in Emma), Lindsey Duncan (only seen her in a Poirot movie, but still..), Victoria Hamilton (Ruby Pratt in Larkrise to Candleford & Queen Mother in The Crown), Charles Edwards(Michael Gregson from Downton) and last but definitely not least........Hugh Bonneville(who I'm sure you know...*whispers, "Downton"*) played the very cringy Mr Rushworth. I mean look.......(ugh, that hair!)...
On the right

Moving on, I love Fanny and Edmund. Together, obviously but also as individuals. Fanny is a perfect mixture of a person who enjoys reading but is also intelligent and doesn't have her head in the clouds like some heroines who read a lot. She's not full of airs from being partially brought up in more upper-class society, even when she returns to her lower class family for a time.
The carriage scene!!!! My ♥!
Edmund and Fanny have a sort of brother/sister relationship, to begin with, but that grows into something more over time as they get older. Edmund is a good sort. 
He is sensible, friendly and loyal.
I was a bit annoyed at his attentions towards Mary Crawford, but that didn't go far when Edmund realised Mary's true colours and character.
Overall, Fanny and Edmund have are a sweet couple and the fact that they spent a big part of their childhood together makes it sweeter!

~

Meh.
Naturally, I did not take a liking to Henry Crawford. Though I do think that I much prefer this actor for Henry Crawford than the actor in the 2007 adaptation.
Mary Crawford was also not my favourite, to say the least. I was glad when Edmund was no longer interested in or engaged to her. I also like this actress better than in the other movie although they look strangely similar.

Love this picture, it's so dreamy and pretty!
Of course, the setting and style of the movie were lovely! The Regency period style was less gorgeous than say...the Victorian and Edwardian era(where the dresses are sumptuous and amazing!) but I still loved all the feels from that time period.

Though I have not read the novel, I do believe that Frances O'Connor played Fann marvellously. I like it when actresses aren't drop dead gorgeous but naturally beautiful and the simple makeup style helps. 

~

Again, despite me not having read any of Jane Austen's main 6 novels right through. if the movies depict her stories right, it seems to me that Austen had an incredible talent for casting her characters. She always has such a wide range and so many of them!

I love Fanny's little window desk nook.

This adaptation vs. the 2007 version is a perfect example of how it the story(portayed in a movie) can be great or not so great based on how it is presented. I for many reasons didn't enjoy the 2007 one as much. I thought that Mansfield Park(the storyline itself) was nit interesting and a bit dull. A lot of moping around until Edmund sees clearly and realises he is in love with Fanny. Whereas this version was utterly lovely and sweet!
(Hope I didn't lose you just there!)

I really liked this outfit of hers!
So that, my darlings, is most of the thoughts I could compose together about this wonderful movie.
I confess I nearly watched it again tonight(like a few days after first seeing it!).

~

Tell me, have you seen it and which version do you like better?

xoxo
Hannah


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Why, thank you! I'm always worried my writing won't be interesting enough!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, yes. This one was a thousand times better than the 2007 version! (I hated that one.) This one is not perfect, but I do like it. Frances O'Connor was a great Fanny, to be sure.

    Loved your review, Hannah! I mean, anything Jane Austen, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you've read the book? Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Which adaption is 'this' one? :D Just wondering!! (Also sorry it shows my old profile... oops! :D Having a bit of trouble with it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I thought I mentioned it bu it seems I forgot! The 1999 version.

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks!! :D Was it all okay?

      Delete
  4. Loved this review!! Johhny Lee Miller is always looking cute in such movies and I couldn't agree more that Frances O'Connor did an marvelous job playing lovely Fanny. Ugh, Henry Crawford was so annoying, I couldn't stand him. It's so funny seeing those other actors/actresses play in different Period Drama/movies and they play different roles, even annoying onces, but that's why I all love them. Because they do a marvelous job playing those characters.

    I love this version!!! But I always dream there is going to be another adaption soon! Because we need a new one, even though this one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

She is called Daughter

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist