Love in Disguise // Book Review


This is the second time that I have to start this review because whilst I was halfway through, it disappeared from my drafts!
So, a few weeks ago I had a bookish craving for a historical/Western novel and I picked up this one.
I really enjoyed it and I had to share my thoughts about it.



~ • ~ • ~


About the Book
"Jobless and down to her last dime, Ellie Moore hears about a position with the Pinkerton Detective Agency and believes it's the perfect chance to put her acting skills and costumes to use. Reluctantly, the agency agrees to give her one assignment, one chance to prove herself. Disguised as Lavinia Stewart, a middle-aged widow, Ellie travels to Arizona to begin her investigation.
When the need arises, she also transforms into the dazzling Jessie Monroe, whose vivacious personality encourages people to talk.
Mine owner Steven Pierce is going to lose his business if he can't figure out who's stealing his silver shipment. In his wildest dreams, he never expected to receive help from a grey-haired widow...or to fall in love with her beautiful niece.
Then the thieves come after Lavinia and Jessie. Ellie isn't safe no matter which character she plays!
Should she give up and reveal her true identity? What will Steven do when he realizes the woman he's falling in love with doesn't really exist?

Set in 1880s Arizona, Love in Disguise blends romance, humour and mystery for a can't put down read."




My Rating

Now let me tell why I gave this book 5 stars!

• The plot was great and since I had not read the back cover I just dove right in and enjoyed it all the more because I knew nothing.
The mystery was intriguing and kept me guessing right till the moment the culprit was revealed. I also loved that the romance plot wasn't too strong. The romance thread of the story only starts about halfway into it and it's very light too.

• The setting was the perfect small Wild West town I wanted for a historical novel.

• It was pretty clean in regards to the sexual content as well, because of the light romance.

• Though the faith content could have been a little more obvious, it was good!

• I had to share this quote from Steven to Ellie because it is just too sweet! Spoiler: 
( His hand cupped her chin and lifted it so that she stared straight into his eyes. "I see the beauty of your character--and it takes my breath away." ).

• The fact that underneath her disguise Ellie wasn't a stunningly beautiful woman but her character was true and that was what Steven loved about her, even after she removed her costume and makeup.


Add the book on Goodreads


Thus concludes my thoughts on this novel. I enjoyed this book a lot and I look forward to reading more from the author, Carol Cox!

What are you reading currently?
Do you like historical novels?


xoxo
Hannah

Comments

  1. Hi Han, I used to read a lot of Westerns when I was in my teens and every now and again later on too. 2 Years ago I discovered Max Brand, a Western Author, on Librivox and I have listened to about 4 of his books. I have just started another one: ‘Black Jack’, with an interesting story line: as spinster rancher lady adopts the baby son of a gangster who is killed. She makes a bet with her brother, that ‘nurture will overcome nature’, if she brings him up decently. Her brothers says, he will kill a man before he’s 25. The story basically begins 10 days before his 25th birthday. Brand has an exceptional way describing horses too. If you have the Librivox App, look him up. The reader Richard Kilmer is also very good. He reads all the Max Brand titles. They are not Christian books, but certainly make excellent distinction between ‘good and evil’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound interesting I'll have to look him up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist