To the Girls

Pinterest
Okay, here's the thing girls.

We often have problems with not thinking ourselves very beautiful. And we also compare ourselves to other girls a lot, at least I do.
Generally, we compare our selves to the pretty girl on Instagram who has the perfect wardrobe, seems to always be buying clothes and had the perfect makeup.

But I even find myself comparing myself to my own friends and girls I know.

"Her hair is SO pretty, mine is too frizzy!"
"Oh, I love her dress. I wish I had a dress like that."
"Her eyes are so...."

You get the point.

Pinterest
But you know, we can help each other out in this.

It would make a big difference if we complimented our fellow girls and sisters in Christ.
We often think these comparisons in our head but never actually let them know that we like what she's wearing today or that her hair looks especially nice.

Instead of comparing, compliment. Turn your negative thoughts about her into positive, uplifting ones and tell her!

Pinterest
Once at a youth conference, a girl and I were walking down the stairs at the same time.
There is a big oval mirror at the foot of the steps and she paused to look at her hair. "My hair is so frizzy and messy right now" she said (something like that anyway).
I thought she was ridiculous to say that because in my mind she was one of the prettiest girls there. "No it's not, I exclaimed, "Your hair is always so nice".
"Oh no," she said, "you always have lovely hairstyles".

As we walked out to the next message, I said something like how we girls always compare ourselves to each other and yet the other girl is probably comparing herself to another.
Then she said something along the lines of "Well, we're all made in God's image" and some more which I don't quite remember.

Pinterest
After that, I felt better about myself.
Uplifting compliments make a big impact. When I think of the times I have been complimented, I feel wonderful and smile at the memory. Not to be vain of course, but just a delight that someone noticed, someone chose to speak those kind words and make my day.

So think about it, the next time you see a girl with a nice outfit or something like that, say "I love your outfit" or "You look nice today".


Words have the power to bring life.

But all this aside, what should change your mind about your beauty is not what people think or say but what your Heavenly Father says.

And he says this:

You are beautiful, my darling. I made you in my own image. I do not make mistakes and you are no exception.
I formed you in your mother womb. You are altogether a miracle. I say you are beautiful, loved, worthy, and you are enough.

Most importantly, dear, I see your heart. I have begun a work in you and I will complete it. Daily you are becoming the woman I am making you to be. People look at the outward appearance but I look at the heart. Guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (based on Psalms 139:13-14, 1 Samuel 16:7, Philippians 1:6)

When the inside is beautiful, so the outside is too.

Fill your heart and mind with beautiful things.


xoxo
Hannah

Pinterest


p.s.
I wrote this with the utmost sincerity. I also struggle to believe these things about myself. I am not perfect either. We are all on a journey. God is working in all of us. You and I, we are His masterpieces.
He's got you girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist

She is called Daughter