The Problem with Romance Novels

via Unsplash

Hello darlings!

I am back with you after an unintentional break to have a heart to heart chat about romance novels!
I want this to be as if we are sitting together, sipping hot drinks and sharing our thoughts and struggles with one another.
I am not trying to tell you what to do and how to do it. I simply want to share my heart and thoughts on this topic.
Without further ado, lets begin!


The majority of what I read is Christian fiction, and for some reason the majority of Christian fiction novels have romance in the plot.
They are fun to read, to swoon over and smile at the happy endings when the guy and the girl finally get together.

But there is an issue. As with anything, it is best to take things in moderation.
I am talking to myself here as well.
There comes a point when after reading many happy endings in books, you can't help but wish for your own happily ever after.
Reading these books in moderation is fine but if it gets too much for you, you need to set a limit.

When we see romance and love stories in books and movies, we can start to long for our own love story, romantic relationship and marriage.
These desires are not all bad, God created them and they are natural.
But when these longings consume your thoughts, make you discontented, and even distract you from your walk with the Lord, then you need to take a step back and take action.

For me, I saw this happening and I got to thinking that I had to change something. Discontentment makes you feel awful. It is not a nice feeling.

• • • •

So what do we do when faced with this obstacle?

Personally, I have decided first and foremost to take a break from reading any romance novels and instead read only Christian non-fiction books or biographies.
Secondly, I am praying and will continue to pray that I would seek the Lord above all else and that I would find complete satisfaction in Him.
And lastly, I want to focus solely on my relationship with Jesus. I want to immerse myself into the Scriptures, memorise verses more intentionally, and grow closer to Him.

Because at the end of the day, I know that my happiness truly lies in Christ. In Christ I can be content, happy, fulfilled, and whole.
A guy cannot fill the hole in my heart that is meant only for Christ.


Picture your heart as a puzzle.
Now imagine there is a piece missing in the centre of you heart puzzle.
We often try to fill this hole with all sorts of alternatives to God. When really he is the missing piece to our hearts.
Nothing here on earth can ever fill that hole.


I hope that if you have been in this same state, that you found this encouraging and helpful. We are all on our own journeys. Through all life experiences, our heavenly Father is shaping us into the women He intends us to be.



keep blooming!

xoxo
Hannah

Comments

  1. Just dropping a comment to let you know that you're not alone! This is something I've struggled with as well, and I stopped reading all romance novels back in July last year. Then this year I've been reading them again, but not nearly as much as I used to. I am currently trying to do the same thing - focus on my relationship with God, read other good books (especially the Bible!) and be thankful for everything I have. Thriving as a single girl is something very close to my heart! (Although I fail a lot!) Love you! And thanks for this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romance novels were a struggle for me has a teen and going into these adults years. It was only recently that I can pick one up without getting overly obsessed about it and without worrying where my thoughts are heading. It took me a long time to get to this point. XOXO Keep striving!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

She is called Daughter