5 Movies That You Will Love If You're A Bookworm


Hello darlings!

As a bookworm, I love watching films with literary themes as well as reading itself.
So I came up with five movies containing bookish themes that I have seen and enjoyed that I am going to share these recommendations with you today.
There is something cosy about many of these films and you feel connected to many of the characters through the love of books.
I realise now that all of these are period drama films as well, meaning I clearly haven't seen any modern day films about writers or books and that historical set movies are my favourites!

Well, let's begin shall we!



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



I have watched this movie several times and both me & my mum love it. I confess that I am guilty of having not read the book yet but it is on my list!
The movie is so heartwarming and beautifully filmed, centered around how books bring people together among other things and is set during and after the Second World War.
This was a pretty obvious one to add to the list!




Tolkien



As we were watching this film, my mum whispered to me, "This is going to be one of your new favourites isn't it." She was right!
This movie is so beautiful and truly wonderful. Even though I've only read The Hobbit so far, I loved learning a bit about the life of J.R.R. Tolkien from this film.
The actors were fabulous and it was a thoroughly enjoyable! I especially recommend it if you are a Tolkien fan yourself.




Bright Star



You'd best be warned that though Bright Star is a very beautifully filmed movie, it will make you cry...a lot!
But aside from that it is on this list because it is all about the romance between the famous poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, and involves reading, writing & reciting poems and other literary themes.
There are stunning scenes with bluebell woods and cloudy pink spring blossoms to feast your eyes on. I can't say much for the costumes, especially worn by Abbie Cornish's character Fanny Brawne, but the rest of the film is really lovely.




Miss Potter



Who didn't love Beatrix Potter's daring books when they were younger? I still do in fact and am pleased to own a cute little box set of many of her books.
It has been a little while since I have seen Miss Potter but I had to include it on this list since it is about such a famous writer.




The Book Thief



Obviously I could not have a list of bookish movies with out including the movie which even has the word 'book' in the title!
I read The Book Thief  some time after we first watched the film but it has been a while since I have revisited either book or movie and I feel it is high time I did so.
So unfortunately I don't remember a whole lot about the story but I knew I had to include it in this post.



I hope you enjoyed this post and discovered some new movies.
Do you have any films you would add to this list?


keep blooming,

Comments

  1. I loved The Book Thief but not so much Tolkien. I wanted to but I guess when I read about his passionate life towards Christ (he helped C.S Lewis become a Christian), I was turned off by the movie leaving his faith out. *Sigh*
    I haven't seen the other movies but I so need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch a lot of television, but these all look interesting! I will definitely keep them in mind as I choose movies this next year!

    One book-to-movie adaptation (but isn't a movie; it's a TV show) I've been watching recently is A Series of Unfortunate Events. They did the adaptation really well, and I've been enjoying the episodes quite a bit. :)

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist