My Sourdough Experience


I have been keeping a sourdough starter for a little over a year now. It has been fun (and frustrating at times) experimenting with different recipes and learning little tips and tricks along the way.
My family isn't new to eating sourdough. We eat sourdough breads on a daily basis (ordered in a great big box from a bakery) and I actually get an unpleasant reaction to normal supermarket breads so I like to stick to sourdough & organic breads.
So last year I decided I wanted to try making my own and my sourdough starter was born!

You might be asking, "what is a sourdough starter?" 
Sourdough starter is a fermented mixture of flour and water containing a colony of microorganisms including wild yeast and lactoacilli. 
This fermented starter is the rising agent in sourdough bread and also develops a wonderful flavor. 
Sourdough bread is healthier for you as well because it has a low glycemic index, making it easier to digest. If you want more info on the science behind sourdough, feel free to do your research, but for now that is my brief explanation! 



For my starter, I used the instructions on Lisa's blog Farmhouse on Boone(link).
I kept my first starter for almost a year, but at the beginning of this year while I was away from home, my starter was thrown away by accident so I had to start all over again.

Here is my current sourdough starter (my second one) that I have had for over a month.
It is happy, bubbly and active and I have made several breads with it already.
Now, I will note that I am by no means an expert! To be completely honest, I haven't had a ton of success with any of the breads I have made.
I am still working on getting it right and perfecting my technique. But with practice, I hope to bake a perfect loaf one day.


Sourdough bread requires more tender loving care than your normal yeast breads so be patient with it. It takes longer to make, rise and bake but it is totally worth it!

Like with a lot of things and especially anything worth doing, making sourdough bread at home takes a lot of practice. I know this first hand as I have made sourdough bread a significant amount of times and I still haven't gotten the technique down.




When it comes to maintaining my starter, I have been experimenting with feeding my sourdough starter and I think I have found what works best for me.
What I like to do is feed it 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of filtered water, then mix well. 
My starter lives next to the oven where it stays pretty warm. Temperature plays a key part in the well-being of your starter, so you want to make sure yours is kept nice and warm. 
I just place a little square of fabric over the mouth of my jar to allow for air to go through but keeping the bugs out. 


Rescources:




So that is a little glimpse into my sourdough journey so far. I'm still learning and I am by no means a professional!  But I enjoy it and that is what matters. 
The process, the journey, is what makes it appealing for me. It takes time but it is worth doing because of the result. 

Let me know if you try making your own sourdough starter!

keep blooming,


Comments

  1. ooh!! I love these types of posts.
    I have been meaning to start a sourdough starter for the past few months and I think i'll finally make good on that sometime soon! yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I love making sourdough bread! 90% of my time it's a beautiful loaf. On that other 10% of the time there's usually something wrong with my starter, or I was too impatient. Your starter looks good, so I don't think it's that. I have my recipe from the Kitchn website. You might want to check it out. It's a very detailed recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the kitchn recipe but I found a simpler one that I prefer. I think most of my problems lie in building the structure of the bread and folding it enough.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Send me a little note if you appreciated this post!

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

6 Simple things YOU can do that have Eternal Value