Slow Living in Winter


Coming to you today from the couch in our living room, sipping a cup of earl grey (my current favourite tea) and with a view of the golden leaves outside.

Though there are still a lot of leaves still clinging on, with the arrival of June I consider winter to have arrived with it.
This winter, as I mentioned in my last post, I want to be intentional to slow down, enjoy the seasonal delights and use the time to rest and work on some projects. I want to fully embrace the season for all it's beauty. 
So I decided to put together a list of some slow living activities to do in the winter months.


Knit something (scarf, sweater, blanket etc.)

This is perhaps my favourite winter activity! I am working on a throw blanket at the moment and I love pulling it out in the evenings to work on while a watch a TV series or listen to an audiobook.
The process and time that goes into it makes the end result worthwhile & pleasing too!



Bake a sourdough loaf

There is nothing like the smell of fresh bread to warm the home! 
Again, the slow process of mixing simple ingredients, kneading or folding the dough and producing a warm, fluffy loaf holds so much satisfaction. 
Take some time to master the art of bread making if you are new or experiment with a new recipe if you are a seasoned baker.



Read a beloved book series

Take the time to revisit an old favourite book series and read through it during the cold months of winter.
I am currently reading through The Chronicles of Narnia and I am quite enjoying them. They are light reads but full of nostalgia for me.



Go for walks 

Despite the cold, I still want to get outside to get fresh air in winter. I have to take Molly, my little dog out for walks daily anyways so I want to take the opportunity to embrace the rain & cold and get outdoors!
Fresh air support the immune system, cleans your lungs and even boosts your mood. So it is especially important to get lots fresh air in the winter to help ward of the winter bugs.



Unplug

To full be able to rest, set aside a day to fast from social media or limit your usage in general.
I decided a little while ago I was going to keep my Sunday's social media and YouTube free and it has been truly a blessing. 
I am so much more present & in the moment when I forget that my phone exists!



Spend time in front of the fire

Sit by the fire with a hot beverage and simply watch the flames while sipping. Or play a game with your family while the fire warms you up.
A wood fire crackling in the room certainly adds a homely & cosy ambiance for winter. 



Eat seasonally

Instead of shopping for imported or out of season produce, opt for in season root vegetables and groceries. It may differ depending on where you live but typically pumpkin, kumara (sweet potato), cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, silver beet, leeks and potatoes are in season around autumn/winter.
There are so many delicious recipes to make with winter veges. I'll link my recipe board (link) on Pinterest so you can see some of my favourites. 



Do you have any activities you would add to this list?

keep blooming,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist