Emma 1996 Ramble


Hello darlings!

It has been a hot minute since I've seen a period drama and let me tell it, it was really nice to once again indulge in elegant dresses, tea in the garden, balls and parties, and the pretty English houses.

The story of Emma is familiar to me as I did read half of the book once and I have seen the mini-series adaptation.
But I enjoyed this version a lot!

Gwyneth Paltrow was a brilliant Emma!
Ahh, all the aesthetic of a period drama...

In particular, I kept an eye on all of Emma's dress, and they are mostly what I want to ramble about today!

Warning: There are lots of pictures!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!


This one I think is one of my most favourites of all Emma's wardrobe! The yellow colour is so cheery and the stripes are just adorable.
It looks like those are little flowers on her sleeves too, just to add a cherry on the top!


I couldn't find a better picture, but I love this little capelet that Emma wears here. It is so pretty with all the small details.
One of the things I suppose I 'miss' from these eras gone by is all the attention to detail on the fashion alone. The tiny stitching, itty bitty beads and fine lace, all painstakingly made by hand made each garment special. Whereas now, most of our clothing is made speedily with machines and trends changes almost with each passing day.

This pink dress is also very pretty. Honestly pretty much anything pink pleases me though!



There were two rather aesthetic scenes in the film, one being this scene with Emma and Harriet in an apple orchard. The arched branches made it seem like a tunnel of trees and the little pops of red were lovely.

I can't help but pity and like Harriet. Emma confuses her so and she is eager to please so she goes along with it. She may be a little cringy but I think she is sweet and I am glad she gets her own happy ending!

The other quite aesthetic bit was when Mrs Weston and Emma are talking about Mr Knightley amongst some gorgeous pink roses (I think they're roses).  

See how pretty?


Oh and this scene where everyone is picking strawberries is rather lovely too.

Now onto some of the more romantic bits!


I do think that Mr Knightley is one of my favourite Austen heroes. I love his "Men of sense do not want silly wives!" and "Try not to kill my dogs."

He is an exceptionally good sort and not as mushy and 'heroic' as some others. He does not make Emma swoon at his dashing acts of chivalry. They were good friends, to begin with, and I believe there is no sweeter foundation for a romantic relationship than to be very good friends first.
Knightley is also quite sensible, gentlemanly, honest, and full of many other genuine qualities.


I think one of the most popular Emma and Knightley moments is probably when Knightley is reprimanding Emma about her rudeness to Mrs Bates.



Oh, the feels! It must have been horrible for Emma to have such a close and loyal friend as Knightely to scold her so. 
But the best of friends do scold you when you need it and in the end, it will help you. He gave Emma what she needed. 


I loved it when they danced together. Dances are always quite fun parts to watch and in this scene, you can tell they actually begin 'noticing' each other, if you understand my meaning.


Look at all the Emma & Knightley sweetness! *reminds herself for the millionth time that she should read these novels for herself*
To give me some credit I did actually get about halfway through Emma, but then another book caught my attention...



Of course, it wouldn't be an English period drama without some gorgeous British outdoors(especially rose gardens and the like). 
Every time I see the lovely countryside and old houses in England it makes me want to travel there even more.

A perfectly dreamy photo of our dear Emma!

And with that, I hope I have convinced you that this is a wonderful Jane Austen adaptation. I liked it more than the mini-series, to be honest. 

You know this is my first period drama post since January when I wrote a little review on Berkeley Square!

xoxo
Hannah

P. S

*awwww* Your welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Favourites

Why I Want To Be A Mother & Homemaker

What's on my Autumn Wardrobe Wishlist